Tuesday 13 July 2010

Style or Substance?

I write like
H. P. Lovecraft
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!
 
At least, according to the I Write Like website, which analysed my word choice and writing style, and compared it to those of famous writers.
 
Since the text analysed was Dream a Little Dream - a women's fiction romance about weddings, retro style, and making your own way in the world, I'm not sure quite how accurate we can take this as being... After all, there isn't a single mention of Fish Men in the whole book.
 
But more interestingly, other books provided startlingly different results.
 
An A to Z of Love, a romance about family, and scandal, and fish, is apparently more like Dan Brown. (Not particularly flattering...)
 
Sea Fever, on the other hand, which is actually about Fish Men, in a way - a YA paranormal murder mystery featuring Selkies - is compared to Stephen King.
 
It's a shame that the site doesn't give more information about how these decisions are calibrated. I tested it with different text from the same books, in different orders, but the results were consistent.
 
At the very least, I suppose it shows that each book has its own style, and tone, as befits the story it is telling. And I'm happy with that. Although, I do wonder if all of H P Lovecraft's books would actually score the author himself on comparison...

0 comments:

About Me

KJ
A blog about writing, and making, and doing, in the face of disappointment and rather stupid odds.
View my complete profile

One More Night

Pink Gin Presents

NaNoWriMo!

NaNoWriMo!

How To Revise Your Novel

Followers