Wednesday 7 July 2010

Opening New Doors

In a wonderful twist of metaphor, we’re having new doors put in today.

This is fantastic, because in the five years we’ve lived in this house, we’ve never been able to enter through the front door, and now the patio doors at the back are sticking so badly that you have to cross your fingers, turn around three times and spit before you attempt to lock or unlock them.

But it’s also very fitting for the first day of this new blog, and the stage of my writing life I currently find myself at.

I’ll post more tomorrow about how I reached this point, but for now, suffice to say that the last couple of years have felt like I’ve been wandering lost in a long, eerily lit corridor of doors and windows. And every time I cautiously approach an ajar door, it slams in my face, just as all the other doors and windows around me also bang shut.

So, I’ve decided to make my own doors, in my own corridor, all with perfectly oiled hinges and no locks. And I’m going off in search of other corridors, and other doors, to see if they could use a spot of oil too. Or even a key.

I’m making my own opportunities. I’m chasing every possibility. I’m writing what I love, making what makes me happy, and working damn hard at it too. I’m not giving up on my dream of being a writer, and of staying at home with my daughter while she’s very young.

I’m keeping calm and writing on.

0 comments:

About Me

KJ
A blog about writing, and making, and doing, in the face of disappointment and rather stupid odds.
View my complete profile

One More Night

Pink Gin Presents

NaNoWriMo!

NaNoWriMo!

How To Revise Your Novel

Followers